Updated: Jun 26, 2021
Do you feel like you’re constantly trying to battle Instagram’s ever-changing algorithm because it’s blocking you from reaching your ideal audience? (...because it is!!)
We’ve definitely felt the changes and if you’re feeling defeated, we totally understand why. But don’t worry, we’re here to help you (keep reading!)
As a small business owner or as a creative, it can be very difficult getting our posts onto the majority of our audience’s feed (yes, that means even when we’re posting consistently.)
We have to constantly try and “beat” the algorithm so that our posts are actually seen by our own audience (it’s a little exhausting really.)
So, do you know how Instagram's algorithm works?
After continued trial-and-error and loads of research, we want to share some mindful tips with you.
How the algorithm works:
IG shows your post to a small percentage of your total audience
They engage (save, share, like & comment)
IG shows your post to a larger audience
Larger audience engages
IG ranks post based on #’s (how many people are engaging with your post)
If enough people engage then your post makes it to the Explore page or 'goes viral' (not guaranteed)
Instagram's algorithm rewards accounts that are active + engaging.
- This means that you have to be genuine and take the time to build relationships with your audience.
- Respond to comments and engage in conversations.
- This means that you need to genuinely interact and take interest.
Instagram's algorithm takes time into consideration.
- What does this mean?
- IG tracks how much time you spend being active and engaging with your following/ target audience (+ how much time you're spending on their platform)
- People are more likely to see + interact with your post if they are active.
- This means it’s important to know your audience + know when your followers are online (this is why keeping track of your insights is so important!)
Instagram’s algorithm favors content that is engaging.
- When people engage with your post it shows the algorithm that your post is interesting and will boost your post to a larger audience. If it keeps getting traction, it may be featured on hashtags or the Explore page.
- The more that people interact and spend time engaging with your post, the more that the algorithm will boost this post to other users. This is because Instagram wants to keep users on the platform for as long as possible, therefore, you must focus on creating content that is engaging and will keep the user on the platform for longer.
Instagram's algorithm is still huge on #hashtags
- Do your research!
- To reach your target audience you have to utilize the proper #hashtags
- In order to utilize the proper #hashtags you have to DO YOUR RESEARCH (send us a DM or schedule an IG Audit if you're interested in finding out how to conduct proper hashtag research!)
Instagram’s algorithm keeps tabs on what you like.
- The algorithm predicts the content that you care about + what to filter to your feed based on what you engage with (like, comment, save & share)
- Have you ever noticed that when you like a specific type of post, you see more of them?
Yes, the algorithm is all about engagement BUT what makes a user want to engage? How do you get your audience to want to interact with your post?
The key is content creation and content marketing. You have to create content that is engaging! (way easier said than done)
You have to create content that makes your audience want to interact with it -- want to like it, comment on it, want to share it with others or save it for later reference. Therefore, when you’re creating content make sure that it is informational, educational or purely entertaining!
Think about your expertise and things that you can provide.
Think about things that you’re constantly asked from your audience, and then use this type of information to create a video/reel.
Create a behind-the-scenes of your business or daily life (people love something relatable!)
Create a tutorial or a “how-to” (it can be anything that your biz creates/does/provides/uses)
Most importantly, be yourself:
Share about you!! Your business. Your life. We know it’s uncomfortable but guess what? You need to learn to get comfortable being uncomfortable. And also remember that you won’t be everyone’s cup of tea and THAT’S OKAY!
If you try to appeal to everyone then you’re missing your target audience. Who are YOU? Think about who you are and who your ideal audience is.
Last thing, focus on those who are ALREADY THERE FOR YOU. You have a following (even if it may be small), however, there’s a reason why they chose to follow you! Think of it this way, if 30 people all placed an order to your shop at the same time then you would probably be a bit overwhelmed.
- 50 followers = a classroom full of people
- 200 followers = an auditorium.
- 1000 followers = a concert venue.
Those people CHOSE to follow you so engage with them! Be grateful for them. Create connections and build relationships and friendships. Your audience will continue to grow as you develop your voice, style, and relationships.
Follow @ourmindfulmarketing (on IG and Facebook) for mindful tips and inspo for your small biz! 💓
- Hannah & Adriana 🍃